Let me preface this article by admitting I am not a morning person by nature. I love to sleep in. In an ideal world I would wake up naturally around 8:30 or 9:00 am. However; in reality, I am rudely awaken by my alarm clock usually around 6:30 or 7:00 am. (Does anyone else hate the sound of their alarm clock in the morning? When I hear the sound, I feel a definite spike in my cortisol levels!)
I try to get to the office around 8:45 am, so you might be asking yourself, why do I wake up 2 hours in advance? Does it really take me that long to get ready?
I force myself to wake up early so that I am not rushed in the morning and so that I have time to set myself up for a productive day. My morning routine has developed into a ritual that I look forward to each day. Below I share with you the routine, step by step.
- Your morning routine starts the night before. I try to go to sleep early and get at least 7 hours of good quality sleep each night. I use the Sleep Cycle app to track the quality of my sleep. Recently, I have also purchased a Magnesium Oil Spray that is supposed to help improve the quality of my sleep. I spray the oil onto my wrists and neck right before I go to bed.
- In the morning, after my Sleep Cycle alarm clock goes off, I lay in bed for about 2 or 3 minutes and prepare myself mentally to get up. This is honestly the hardest part for me! Once I am, I feel fine and like I’m ready to take on the day. I always have to battle with my mind and remind her that I just need to get up 🙂
- After I get up, I let natural light into the room. In the summer months it makes a huge difference.
- The night before, I prepare a 16 oz glass of water with lemon, ginger and mint. I drink this whole glass as soon as I get up.
- Next, I change into my workout clothes which I have laid out for myself the night before. (I once tried sleeping in my workout clothes but that trick did not work for me as I prefer to sleep in comfortable, good quality, soft pajamas).
- I then go into the washroom, wash my face and brush my teeth.
- Finally, I go downstairs to my basement work out gym, put on my headphones and do a workout that lasts anywhere between 20 to 40 minutes. My current favorite workouts include: 20 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes strength training with weights, 30 minutes boxing, 25 minutes weight lifting, or 25 minute run. I switch my workout around every week so that I don’t get bored. As far as the strength training workouts go, I use Instagram to find example videos.
- After my workout, I usually feel great and I am in a really good mood. I then go back upstairs, take a quick shower and get changed into my work clothes. I also lay these out the night before so that I don’t have to waste time in the morning picking out what I am going to wear.
- I then do my makeup. It takes me about 15 minutes to apply a full face of makeup. I go for the same look everyday and apply the same products.
- After applying makeup and doing my hair, I go downstairs and pack my lunch for work. Again, I also prepare this the night before so that I don’t have to worry about it in the morning.
- During this time, I also drink another 16 oz glass of water.
- Finally, I put on a podcast and leave for work. My commute lasts anywhere between 35 to 55 minutes, depending on the traffic and what time I leave. It is the perfect time to listen to a motivating, inspiring or funny podcast. My current favorites include:
- The School of Greatness with Lewis Howes
- On Purpose with Jay Shetty
- Heather Dubrow’s World
You may have noticed that I did not include a step for eating breakfast. I have been intermittent fasting for about 6 months now and it really works for me as I am usually not hungry in the morning. Studies show that intermittent fasting has many positive health benefits so it has been easy for me to stick to. I try to do the 16/8 method which means that I eat within a window of 8 hours and fast for 16 hours (from 8:00 pm to 12:00 pm).
I also try not to use my phone (aside from looking up exercise videos) during my morning routine. This means that I don’t check my social media, work emails, or shop online. I want my morning to be my “me” time. I check my social media, read the news, and check my work emails first thing when I get into the office.
If you have any suggestions on how to make my morning routine more productive, please let me know in the comments below! I’d also love to hear from you and see what your morning routine looks like so that I can incorporate some of your healthy habits into mine!