We all come upon stressful situations in our lives from time to time. It is an unavoidable truth of life. These stressful situations can range from minor frustrations like having to parallel park on a busy street to much more serious grievances, like dealing with an unexpected breakup or an unrealistic deadline at work. Regardless of the reason, stress can affect our mental health negatively and we should all try to find ways to deal with stress in a positive and productive way. It’s important to make the time to de-stress and reset. Below I share with you my 5 best stress management techniques that truly help me recharge.
- Find time to be creative. For me, that’s spending time drawing or coloring. I absolutely love Adult Coloring Books with Inspirational Quotes and Messages. I get lost in the coloring and I forget about my dilemmas and stress triggers. It is a great relaxation technique.
- Have a Cozy Movie Night in with tea and healthy snacks. One of the best ways to relax is to watch a romantic comedy or any movie on Hallmark 🙂 If I’m feeling stressed, I try to watch a feel good movie that reminds me there is always hope, most people are good and most problems will pass. I make healthy snacks like frozen bananas with peanut butter, dark chocolate drizzled over popcorn or frozen grapes. I also make some tea. I love the Yogi Teas as they have a great selection to chose from and their tea bags include fun and inspirational messages. I try to avoid caffeine as it is a stimulant that can trigger anxiety and feelings of distress.
- Read – Another great way to take your mind off your stresses is to read. I often got lost in the book that I’m reading and completely disengage from the world around me. The book that I’m currently reading is Earn It by Mika Brzezinski with Daniela Pierre-Bravo. It is a go to guide for women in their 20s that are starting their career. It has great tips on how to succeed in the workplace, build your network and stand out in a positive way.
- Exercise – I try to engage in physical activity every day and force myself to wake up at least half an hour early each day to either go on a walk or do a quick 30-minute workout at home. I find that on the days I workout in the morning, I go into work with a much more relaxed and calm mind. My favorite type of workout to de-stress is definitely boxing. A boxing session helps me release all of my negative energy. I recently purchased a standing boxing bag on Amazon. It is the perfect addition to my mini at home gym and on the days I plan on boxing in the morning, I actually wake up excited and eager to work out.
- Voice your stresses outloud – whether to myself, my dog, or a loved one, this technique really helps me. Talking about my frustrations, problems, and anything that is causing me stress sometimes can put my dilemmas into perspective. If you have a person that you can rely upon, confide in them. You will feel much better. I also think that talking about your problems makes you feel less alone.
Whenever you start feeling stressed, think about ways you can relax and try to use any of these 5 tips above to release your negative energy. I hope they help you manage your stress the same way they help me!